Twitter horror royalty, Ryan Murphy, announced the fourth season title, and other relevant information earlier today. As expected, the carnival theme is the real deal for season four, earning the title “American Horror Story: Freak Show”. We all know this is superstar, Jessica Lange’s swan song, but who’s returning, who’s leaving, and what are the gory details?
– Freak Show is the working title.
– Season four marks the end of Jessica Lange’s powerhouse run on the series.
– Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, and Frances Conroy are all slated to return. Denis O’Hare and Emma Roberts are in talks to iron out specifics, and will hopefully return.
– Season four is set in 1951 Jupiter, Florida.
– Lange will portray a German expatriate tasked with managing one of the last performing freak shows in the country.
– As usual, this season begins on October and consists of 13 episodes.
Murphy has this to say about Lange and the series’ trend of trying new things.
”We try and do the opposite of what we’ve done before,’ Murphy said. ‘Jessica Lange has already started practicing her German accent so I’m very excited!”
Lange, AHS Matriarch, is sadly but understandably leaving after season three and commented on the work involved.
”I haven’t done that for a long time. It’s like doing a stage play between the rehearsal and the run. This is a six-month commitment every year. That will be four years in a row. I want to have more time to myself I guess. Once it’s over and I have a full year ahead of me with nothing to do, who knows? It might not have been the best decision. But I think four years doing something is a sufficient amount of time.”
Fans will miss Lange, but we’ll always have a special love for her work on the show. Well, sit tight, kids. Season four in on its way.
Not even April and we already have fan made opening titles.